Scorpius versus Saggitarius

Scorpius versus Saggitarius
Scorpius versus Saggitarius

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Quarter 3/ Observation #1

Jan. 24, 2012
7:30 - 8:30 P.M.
Tonight I tried to discern which star was which in the constellation Orion. The three "belt" stars are Mintaka, Alnitak, and Alnilam. I had trouble remembering which red and blue stars where Betelgeuse and Rigel; I had to double check my notes to be sure. The left, reddish star was Betelgeuse and the left, bluish star was Rigel. My way of remembering this to arrange the stars in alphabetical order/ left to right in the evening sky. Additionally I could not see the moon tonight, which actually helped me stargaze. In the northeast the Big Dipper/ Ursa Major was on the eastern horizon. The north had both the king and the queen, Cepheus and Cassiopeia. As the winter constellation rose in the east and the fall constellations fell in the west, Taurus sat almost directly overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment